Simply Japanese-Simple Sushi for 4
1 cup sushi rice
1 1/2 cups water
50ml rice wine vinegar
6 sheets Nori Seaweed
1 cucumber, deseeded and cut into matchstick strips
75g smoked salmon, sliced into strips
4 teaspoons Wasabi
Japanese pickled ginger
Japanese soya sauce
1. Prepare sushi rice using rice cooker method.
2. Heat the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a pan until dissolved. Immediately remove from heat.
3. Transfer cooked rice into a bowl and let steam cool down. Fold in vinegar mixture with a spatula. Cover with damp cloth.
4. Spread wasabi paste thinly on nori sheet.
5. Place a nori sheet on a sushi mat. Leaving a gap at the base, spread a line of rice about 30mm wide.
6. Press cucumber and smoked salmon to line the middle. Top with more rice and roll up tightly. Repeat the process until all the nori sheets have been filled.
7. Cover the sushi and chill for 30 minutes to set.
8. Slice the sushi rolls across. Serve with pickled ginger, soy sauce and wasabi.
( ref : TupperChef Celebrity Chef Search 2008 )